You may have seen videos of people dipping their car parts in vibrant colors and wondered if hydro dipping is waterproof. The short answer? Yes, it is!
But there’s more to know about this process than just whether or not the dipped item will stay colorful. In this article, we’ll explore everything you need to know about hydro dipping, including what it is, how it works, and what to consider before you get started.
Hydro dipping is the process of submerging an object in a water-based paint and coating it with a protective finish. The object can be anything from a small toy to a large car part.
The paint is typically dissolved in water and then sprayed over the object. It’s a popular process for coating car parts, as it offers a durable and long-lasting finish that can withstand elements like rain and sun.
It’s pretty simple, really. You take the object you want to dip and submerge it into the water. Use the air pump to create a vortex inside the container and then dip the object into the wax. Hold it there for a few seconds before removing it and letting the excess wax drip off.
The short answer is no, you can’t make hydro dipping waterproof. But there are a few things you can do to help prolong the life of your dipped items.
First, always apply a clear topcoat to your dipped items. This will help create a water-resistant barrier and will prevent the colors from fading.
Second, avoid exposing your dipped items to excessive moisture. If you’re going to be near water (like at the beach or pool), be sure to pack them up and take them with you.
Third, give your dipped items a quick rinse after each use. This will help remove any dirt or particles that may have built up during use.
If you’re looking to make your hydro dipped item last longer, there are a few things you can do.
First, make sure you’re using the right kind of paint. There are special automotive paints that are made to withstand weather and wear and tear.
Second, add a clear coat. This will create a barrier between the paint and the elements, and will help to extend the life of your hydro dipped item.
Third, if you’re hydro dipping something that will be exposed to sunlight or other harsh conditions, consider adding a UV resistant clear coat. This will help to prevent fading and sun damage.
Following these tips will help to ensure that your hydro dipped item lasts for years to come.
Now that you know what hydro dipping is, you might be wondering which products are the best to hydro dip. Here are five of our top picks:
- – Hard hats: Hard hats are a great choice for hydro dipping because they’re made of tough plastic that can withstand the hydro dipping process. Plus, they’re easy to find and relatively inexpensive.
- – Helmets: Similar to hard hats, helmets are made of tough plastic and are easy to find. They’re a great choice for hydro dipping if you want to add a unique design to your helmet.
- – Gun stocks: Gun stocks are another great choice for hydro dipping because they’re made of durable plastic. And, if you’re a gun enthusiast, you can add a custom design to your gun that will make it stand out from the rest.
- – Bike frames: Bike frames are made of metal, which means they’re durable and can withstand the hydro dipping process. Plus, if you’re into cycling, you can add a custom design to your bike that will make it one of a kind.
- – Phone cases: Phone cases are made of plastic or silicone, which makes them durable and easy to find. And, if you’re looking for a unique phone case, hydro dipping is a great option.
In conclusion, it is evident that hydro dipping is a process that can be used to add a layer of protection to materials, and it can be used to create a number of different designs. The process is not difficult, but it is important to take the time to prepare the surface correctly so that the final product is durable and looks good.