The government stated that at least 27 soldiers have been killed at an army base following a complex attack in Mondoro.
In central Mali, a rebel attack on an army base on Friday has killed at least 27 soldiers and injured 33 more, the government declared, in the rural commune of Mondoro, adding that at least seven soldiers are still missing following the complex attack, which applied car bombs.
On Friday, event terrorists; were killed in the military’s response, the statement said, without confining which armed group was accountable.
In central Mali, affiliates of both al-Qaeda and ISIL are active.
With Burkina Faso, the Mondoro base is near Mali’s border by rebels fighting and has previously been targeted; by the Malian state and foreign forces.
In September 2019, about 50 soldiers died after an attack on Mondoro and the nearby Boulkessi base.
Since al-Qaeda-linked fighters, Mali has; been facing an armed rebellion that seized its desert north in 2012, forcing former colonial power France to intervene to drive them back the following year.
The rebel fighters have since regrouped and seized vast swaths of the Malian countryside while also expanding into Niger, Burkina Faso, and other neighboring countries’ bases.
In the violence, thousands of people have been faced death, and more than two million people displaced. Armed groups carried out more than 800 lethal attacks last year alone.
Since 2013, France has maintained thousands of troops across the region but announced last month after ties soured following Paris’s criticism that it would withdraw its forces from Mali of a military coup and reform civilian rule, Bamako’s refusal.
Paris has also protested counter to the custom of Russian instructors in the country, which the West says are Wagner mercenaries. For further information tap on the link.